Trump

Trump campaign runs Facebook ads on whether TikTok should be banned

(Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign ran Facebook (FB.O) ads this weekend claiming that the Chinese-owned short video app TikTok is spying on users.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks about legislation for additional coronavirus aid in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, U.S., July 20, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis

The ads link to a survey asking whether TikTok, which is owned by Beijing-based tech giant ByteDance, should be banned in the United States. They also ask for respondents’ names and contact details.

“TikTok is spying on you,” claimed one ad. “TikTok has been caught red handed by monitoring what is on your phone’s clipboard,” it said.

TikTok is facing scrutiny in Washington over concerns that China could force the company to turn over its user data.

Earlier this month, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the United States was “certainly looking at” banning

Read More

Twitter disables Trump tweet over copyright complaint

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump taps the screen on a mobile phone at the approximate time a tweet was released from his Twitter account, during a roundtable discussion on the reopening of small businesses in the State Dining Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., June 18, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Twitter Inc disabled a campaign-style video that President Donald Trump retweeted on Saturday, citing a copyright complaint.

The video, which included music from the group Linkin Park, disappeared from the president’s Twitter feed late Saturday with the notification: “This media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner.”

Twitter removed the video, which Trump had retweeted from White House social media director Dan Scavino, after it received a Digital Millennium Copyright Act notice from Machine Shop Entertainment, according to a notice posted on the Lumen Database which collects requests for removal

Read More

Trump administration action on risks posed by TikTok likely ‘in weeks’: official

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration is studying the national security risks of social media applications including TikTok and WeChat, with action to address the issue expected in the coming weeks, a White House official said on Wednesday.

FILE PHOTO: Tik Tok logo is displayed on the smartphone while standing on the U.S. flag in this illustration picture taken, November 8, 2019. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

“There are a number of … administration officials who are looking at the national security risk as it relates to TikTok, WeChat and other apps that have the potential for national security exposure, specifically as it relates to the gathering of information on American citizens by a foreign adversary,” White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows told reporters en route to Washington from Georgia.

“I don’t know that there’s any self imposed deadline in terms of action, but I would

Read More

UK minister on Trump’s Huawei remark: ‘We all know Trump don’t we’

FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Health Secretary Matt Hancock speaks during the daily COVID-19 briefing at 10 Downing Street in London, Britain June 22, 2020. Andrew Parsons/10 Downing Street/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) – A senior British minister on Wednesday denied that U.S. President Donald Trump was responsible for Britain’s 5G ban on Huawei, saying the decision was a considered one despite attempts by some individuals to claim credit.

Britain announced on Tuesday it would purge Huawei equipment from 5G by the end of 2027, with Trump saying hours later that: “We convinced many countries, many countries, I did this myself for the most part, not to use Huawei, because we think it is an unsafe security risk, it’s a big security risk.”

Asked about the remark, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock told Sky News: “Well we all know Donald Trump don’t we.”

“All sorts of people can try to claim credit

Read More